New call for applications
Up to 4 (post-)doctoral stipends for an on-campus research stay at the Zukunftskolleg are available for up to 3 months (with justification for up to 4 months). The on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowships are complemented by a digital affiliation extending it to a duration of 12-months. The start date for the digital affiliation is summer 2022. The preferred start date for the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowships is between 1 September 2022 and 16 October 2022.
The Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships support early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America who are associated with one of the thirteen departments at the University of Konstanz. As a ZUKOnnect Fellow, you can use this time to extend your research networks and to get to know the research environment at the University of Konstanz while keeping your position at home. As these fellowships can build a first bridge to the German and European academic system, we also encourage doctoral students in their last year to apply. The Zukunftskolleg will not offer employment contracts for ZUKOnnect Fellows.
The Zukunftskolleg is an Institute for Advanced Study (IAS). It offers fellowships as well as a diverse support network to promote the independence of early career researchers. Researchers at the postdoctoral level can work with minimal administrative constraints, and enjoy the freedom to engage in meaningful exchange with other up-and-coming colleagues as well as with distinguished senior researchers. Researchers in the humanities, social and natural sciences come to Konstanz from around the world to perform first-class research. The Zukunftskolleg is a keystone in the University of Konstanz’s institutional strategy and the University of Konstanz is one of Germany’s eleven Universities of Excellence.
The foundation “Manfred Ulmer-Stiftung für Wissenschaft und Gesellschaft” at the University of Konstanz has been funding early career researchers since its foundation in 1979. Since 2021, the foundation supports the “ZUKOnnect Fellowship” with the Manfred-Ulmer scholarship – a scholarship programme they have been running for several decades – amounting to 6,000 euros and thus funding one of the four scholarships. The Manfred Ulmer foundation is eager about the opportunity to play an even more active role in attracting international early career researchers in the future by supporting this innovative format of the Zukunftskolleg at the University of Konstanz.Inhalt ein-/ ausklappen
- During the on-campus research stay, a stipend of € 1,200/month for doctoral students and € 2,000/month for postdoctoral researchers (following DAAD guidelines).
- Standard expenses for one economy-class trip to Konstanz and back.
- The chance to participate in events organized by the Zukunftskolleg.
- Access to library resources.
- Access to IT services.
- Access to research support services (via Research Support).
- ZUKOnnect Fellows will benefit from a digital affiliation extending the total period to 12 months. The digital affiliation will be supported with up to € 900 (lump sum).
- You will live in Konstanz or nearby throughout the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowship (the Welcome Centre at the University of Konstanz will support you with all organizational aspects of relocating to Konstanz).
- You will actively contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg during weekly Jour fixe meetings (in the semester).
- You will interact with fellows and researchers in relevant departments at the University of Konstanz.
- You will give a presentation in a seminar or a public lecture.
- You will acknowledge the Zukunftskolleg’s support in any publications resulting from the stay.
- You will write a short report on your activities and achievements (within 6 months of completing your ZUKOnnect Fellowship).
- You were born AND work in a country in Latin America, Asia or Africa.
- You hold a doctorate (max. 2 years, doctoral degree granted after 15 February 2020) OR are a doctoral student in your final year.
- Your doctorate was/ is going to be completed at a university in Latin America, Asia or Africa.
- You do not hold a permanent professorship, nor do you have a habilitation or equivalent qualification (Venia legendi).
- Your research project should tie in with one of the disciplines represented at the University of Konstanz.
- You should name a researcher at the University of Konstanz with whom you intend to collaborate (no need to contact person(s) in advance).
- Preference will be given to applicants who plan to team up with one of our current Zukunftskolleg Fellows.